Thursday, September 21, 2017

Adventures ~ Exciting, Challenging and Sometimes a Little Furry

Do you enjoy luke warm showers with the company of geckos and slugs? Feeling your blood pressure rise while standing on the street, nearly being hit by a bus? Fearing the fate and weighing the consequences of your stomach when you bite into a piece of fruit? How about the unexpected company that stays way too long in your home, unwelcome and unappreciated... in the forms of giant spiders, flying cockroaches and a baby possum? Well have I got the place for you! 

These are just a few of the challenges I face here, but honestly, it really isn't so bad, I kind of love it actually. It wouldn't be El Salvador if there weren't just a few interesting surprises. Not to worry though, the animals have been taken care of by either my shoe or by being returned to their very unimpressed mama possum, who seems to personally blame me, as if I was the one that sent her baby a personal invitation into our home, which I assure you,  I did no such thing! I also informed the mama of this, while sitting on the patio one evening, after DAYS of receiving the stink eye. Oh yes, I did indeed have an out loud argument with a mother possum, I am telling you, this country makes you do things you never dreamed of doing! Those others things,well I have simply accepted them as part of this new life of mine. It could be a whole lot worse! I have come to be incredibly grateful for those funny little things, that make me appreciate Gods goodness all the more. It could have been a rat! Lord knows I am not ready for that~ although my sister has been encouraging to remind me that I truly can do all things, through Christ who strengthens me. I just didn't realize quite what He meant when He said all things..


Well, here we are in September! August has come and gone. Obviously it had it's share of interesting moments, stressful situations, but all around, it was wonderful as usual. Each day brings new and exciting opportunities and challenges, ones I never could of dreamed of facing. I can confidently say, God is at work in my life, every single day, and I am so glad. This world I live in way out here in the Jungle, is like nothing I could have ever imagined.

 During my last 8 months here, I have seen my perspective, my focus and my heart change and adapt to my surroundings. 

 I have watched God perfectly place people in my life to teach me things about the language, the culture and the people of this beautiful country. I have learned that even though I don´t like to admit it, there are times when my North American Superiority, that I didn't even realize I had, threatens to make an appearance and I have to be reined in again. Times when I can´t understand why these people just don´t get how my way is better, and how their way makes no logical sense. I have had to realize, that I was born and raised in a different environment than what the people of El Salvador are accustomed to, and just because my way makes more sense to me, does not mean that it is infact the correct way. I have had to shut up and just listen, to a new language, to the sounds around me and to the needs of others, and to appreciate this language barrier as a way of building relationship so deep and so meaningful that we don´t need words to express our feelings. 


I have learned to appreciate a different culture, and what it has to offer. To live my life adventurously! To ride on the back of the truck like a crazy person, wear the clothes bursting with colour and to try new foods, ones that look outrageous and questionable, but actually taste like nothing I have ever experienced before. To not be scared to give a part of myself away to this beautiful place, because that doesn't mean I am giving up everything that makes me who I am. It just means that I am growing into the women God desires me to be, and who knows, I may even love it. To realize that slowly but surely, this place that used to be so crazy, so dangerous and so incredibly challenging,  is actually kind of home now. The reality is, this place has changed who I am. I still have pieces of myself that make me ME , things in the way I was raised, that have made me who I am today, but there are also new things that I cherish and value, things I never known or understood in the life I lived before. 


Who would have known I would fall in love with people that I thought were so different than me, people who, when you actually get right down to it, really aren't that different at all. Who knew I would experience what it feels like to take  pride and joy in the progress of the children I work with, children who are not my own, but who have most definitely stolen my heart, whom I love as my own. I laugh with them, talk with them, challenge them and do my best to share wisdom and love any way I can. These are the same children, that at times I cry for, when this hurt overwhelms me, not fully understanding how and why their lives have been shaped the way they have, forcing myself to trust that God is sovereign, even when I don't understand. I rejoice and take pride in their accomplishments and encourage them when I can, ensuring they know how truly loved and cherished they are.

I have friends that are helping me grow into this new life of mine, ones there to lend a listening ear and to share a nice lunch with. Friends that have welcomed me with open arms and open hearts, for which I am eternally grateful for. They show me the beauty of this country, one I never really saw at the start, and how to appreciate the different way of life here. What used to be all barbed wire and guns, is now beautiful flowers and bright colours. There isn't only sorrow filled eyes and empty stomachs, there are joy filled smiles and mended hearts. God is busy at work here, and I love that He has me here to play part in it. I love to see the progress these last 8 months have brought, and I can't wait to see what the future holds, for not only me, but all of El Salvador.

I encourage you to continue praying for me way out here in the Jungle, pray for the ways that God is growing and changing my heart. I love to hear from you folks and am happy to share my experiences here in El Salvador. I encourage you to be open to adventure. You don't have to move across the world to find it, it's right there in your very own heart. I encourage you to be brave, because who knows, you just might love it!

Love and Prayers
Erica Byleveld

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

Joshua 1:9




No comments:

Post a Comment