Sunday, February 12, 2017

Settling

I remember a very interesting moment, before coming here, while preparing paperwork and trying to get organized, thinking to myself "I can't wait to just get there and finally have my life settle down." I spent months figuring out fundraising, doing paperwork and attempting to pack up my life, all while trying to remain in relationships with those I love and care for. I spent a lot of nights running around, crossing things off my list. Thinking I couldn't wait to just be there, and to have these fears of the unknown overcome. If I can just make it onto the plane, then finally things will settle down.

What on Earth was I thinking? Who was I kidding? Life didn't settle down. I have settled in here, yes, but that's different! 

It continues to amaze me just how fast the day goes by. I pull myself up out of bed and then a moment later, I am crawling back into it exhausted, wondering where the day went and how someone managed to change the clock without me seeing, again? I must say though, I do sleep well!

People ask me, what each day looks like, and honestly it changes. I don't have a set schedule, nor do my days ever look the same. We never know how the day will go or the challenges we will face, but we trust that God is in control, and with Him in control, we will make it through just fine! 

We face different challenges each day, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Let me be quite clear when I tell you this. There is a spiritual battle, that is always going on, especially here. We are at the front lines. Believe me, satan is not happy with the incredible things God is doing down here. He is quite annoyed with the unbelievable ways God is using each and every one of us. He can't stand to see the life changing things that are going on here at Mission To El Salvador, or the fact that God is given all the glory for it.

So what does he do? He uses our weakness to wisper little lies into our ear. He uses whatever tools necessary, to make you doubt. Make you doubt your abilities, your qualifications, the difference you're making. He tries to make you believe that it isn't worth it, that you should probably just pack up and go home. He makes you question your motives and desires. He makes you question our saving grace in Christ Jesus.

He does his best to deminish God and to make your fears feel overwhelming.

But there are things he can't do.

He can't make you feel the peace of your Saviour.

He doesn't remind you that you are forgiven and free and therefore a new creation in Christ.

He doesn't pour out his love for you with open arms on a cross.

He doesn't care about you, he only cares about winning a battle that God has already won.


Only God can wrap His loving arms around you and wisper words of love and encouragment. Only God can provide grace and freedom. Only God can share little glimpses of  His incredible works,precious moments that take your fear and your breath away!

Only God can bring you peace, joy, laughter and love.

With Him, we can do anything, nothing is impossible. As long as trust and obey.

It is such an important reminder, that brings me such joy.

You too, are forgiven and free. You too, are loved and cherished by our Creator, and what a blessing that is!

Even though things may not ever settle down. I can at least find peace and rest, when I settle into the loving arms of Christ.

Love and Prayers
Erica Byleveld

Therefor if anyone is in Christ, they are a new creation, the old is gone and the new has come

2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment