Thursday, January 5, 2017

Getting Settled

Well here we are, days two and three! Boy does time fly, and thank goodness, cause that is sometimes the only thing that helps keep me going! 

  

I promise to get more and better pictures!

When I started this new journey, I was agreeing to start a new life. A life with a different career, a different country, a different culture, a different language. I changed my clothes, my church, my friends. The food, the house, the people. Everything has changed. Even the keyboard I am typing on, in this very moment, is different... don´t even ask me how to do the ¨at¨ sign... seriously... I actually don´t even know. Yet through out all of this, one thing remains. God is faithful.

He is there in every moment. Whether that be first thing when the sun shines into my room in the morning, or while I braid the ladies hair during a program. Whether I am videoing, missing my family back home, or laying my head to rest at night. He is with me.  He remains. He is faithful.

It is by His strength that we carry on, whether that is serving here overseas or at home during our day to day lives. He is there with us every step of the way. That alone brings peace, comfort and love.

I am settling into this new rountine of mine. One of making meals, doing paper work, and seeing how 90% of the world lives day to day. It´s breaks your heart time after time, to walk out and see people lining the streets to get fed. In a world with so much, how can they have so little. 

We have an oppertunity to open our doors to this hurting community. They come in, have a hot shower, get their hair cut, have a rest and get fed a good meal. They are loved. They wait for hours for our doors to open and are so happy to see us. They too, know that He is faithful, even with nothing, they have hope. Funny how we have everything and still loose our faith. On a journey like this one, you are required to trust God with your life. It´s the only way to survive.

I get to spread Gods love in the simplest of ways. By handing out food, sharing smiles and reminding women how beautiful they are, simply by braiding their hair.. (I´ve got quite the reputation around here and it´s only day three!) I get to smother children with smiles and love, while their mothers get to finally enjoy a moment of peace, without worrying. It´s these little things, that bring me the biggest joy. 

That makes it all worth it, Every. Single. Moment.

Plus we have earthquakes.. which is just super wierd!
Not to worry, we´re fine!

These little moments are changing someones eternity. We may never know, the effect of our moments, but God does, for He has already ordained each in every one in His book, in His Master plan. A plan that´s better than any of us could ever dream of!

Love and Prayers

Erica Byleveld



Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."

Deuteronomy 31:6


1 comment:

  1. So glad you made it there safely, I am praying for you my friend ... go with God Erica

    Gail xo

    ReplyDelete