Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Grieving the Life I Had

It has been said to me by close friends and other missionaries here, that when you begin an adventure like this one, you will grieve the life you used to live. 

I thought they were kidding. I mean grieve is a pretty strong term to describe the desires for the luxuries I have back home. But grieve you do. 

Most  days here are wonderful. I have incredible "God Moments" when I see the Creator hard at work in the lives I witness. I am surrounded by beautiful country scenery and wonderful people. Hurt and brokenness, yes, but I also so beauty there too.

I see children's faces light up when I simply give them a candy, or  share some crayons. (The feeling of seeing them light up still makes my heart burst with love)

Women that finally know that someone cares, simply because I take the time to transform their knotted hair into beautiful braided hairdo's, that Pintrest would be proud of!

Men who feel like they finally are worthy and needed again, when I let them carry heavy, important things for me.

I have wonderful co workers that make me laugh and feel loved.

These are all wonderful things that I thank God for daily.

There are also moments when I would give anything to see my friends. Friends I love so dearly, that they are family. Moments I long to be  back working alongside my mother, laughing and sharing our hearts over the days busy baking tasks. Moments when all I want is to hug and kiss those beautiful growing nephews of mine. Moments when I miss being teased by my wonderful father,and bursting with laughter over jokes with my sisters!

I long for an opportunity to just get into my car and drive! Be free to go where I please! Not having to worry about not being allowed to walk outside at night, gun shots ringing out all around me.

I long for my family and the comforts of home, the familiar smells and sounds.

I long for the life I used to have. Truly long, so much so that it makes my heart physically hurt!

God knows this. He also know that He will provide the perfect people at the perfect moments, to help me get through those tough times in my day. People like great coworkers and wonderful roommates, long time friends to serve with, and a new "family"

I got to spend an incredible weekend with my new friends the "Portillo/ Palacias" family. 
They opened their arms to us with true love and spent wonderful moments showing us this beautiful country.

We went to the local botanical gardens, had a great lunch together, and finished the wonderful day with a breath taking view at a restaurant at the top our our volcano! We had so many moments of laughter and fun, it made missing my family, not quite so hard! It was a true blessing to spend time with people that made me feel like part of the family. I feeling I was longing for!

God  continues to bless me with little moments, with people He has already ordained and prepared, to walk this adventure with me. Wonderful people I am so excited to become "family" with! People like the "Portillo/Palacias" family.


2 Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love 
Ephesians 4:2

Love and Prayers
Erica Byleveld






No comments:

Post a Comment